During five weekends in summer 2020, a limited number of private vehicles will be allowed to purchase a permit to drive to Eielson Visitor Center at Mile 66 of the road. This reservation system opens Monday at www.recreation.gov.
- The weekends include July 10-12, July 24-26, August 7-9, August 21-23, Sept. 4-7.
- Tour and transit buses will also be driving the road during those periods.
- The same rules apply as for the Teklanika permits. Permits can be purchased up to two weeks before your visit and are non-transferrable. Again, no same-day sales. Vehicles used to drive beyond Savage River at Mile 15 must be 22 feet or less in length.
- The same 45-minute window applies for driving into the park past Savage River.
- This road permit expires at 9 p.m.
- Backpacking is possible only by bus during this period with a valid backcountry camping permit.